Happy Monday! I am officially into my second week of Whole30 and it's going a lot better than expected.
When my three best friends reached out that they wanted to catch up and go out to dinner over the weekend, I offered to cook at my apartment in order to avoid stress at a restaurant. While there are certain options that I can find (sashimi with BYO coconut aminos) or a salad from Sweetgreen, I've preferred making my own meals since I know exactly what ingredients are going in them.
Whenever I have dinner parties, I strategize on a menu and choose dishes that require little prep and can go a long way. My favorites are my Paleo Turkey Chili, Spaghetti Squash and Bolognese and Butternut Squash Noodles with Sausage and Kale.
For Saturday's dinner party I had a side of my Carrot Dip as an appetizer with some sliced zucchini sticks and prosciutto. These chicken lettuce wraps were the main course and they were so easy to make, plus extremely affordable ($27.40) for all the ingredients! The diced cashews gave it a great texture and the coconut aminos were the perfect soy-sauce substitute.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb of ground chicken
- 2 bell peppers
- 1/2 an onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup of shredded cabbage (to save time you can buy the pre-made bags from the grocery)
- 1 cup of diced Shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp oil of your choice (olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil)
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews
- Lettuce for wrapping (I love butter or red leaf lettuce)
- Optional toppings, sliced avocado, green onion and cashews
- Dice the red pepper, onion and shiitake mushrooms. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add ground chicken and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the chicken as it cooks.
- Add in the ground ginger, salt & pepper and 3/4 servings of the coconut aminos.
- Add in the veggies and cook for 10-12 minutes until all veggies are cooked through.
- Add in the cashews and stir well, adding in the last bit of the coconut aminos.
- Rinse the lettuce and pat dry before serving.
- To serve, add in 1-2 spoonfuls of chicken into lettuce and top with green onion and cashews.