Soup season is upon us and I could not be more excited to share the recipe for one of our most infamous dishes: Thai Coconut Chicken Soup. It's dairy and gluten-free and is the perfect remedy for a cold. It's loaded with nutrient dense ingredients and will clear your sinuses in no time!
- 3 stalks of lemongrass
- 1/2 a thumbs length of fresh ginger root
- 1/2 a thumbs length of fresh turmeric root
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 red onion
- 4 medium carrots
- 4 bunches of bok choy
- 15 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 5 mushrooms
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 2-3 red bell peppers
- 1 whole organic chicken (we prefer buying a whole chicken, but if you don't want to deal with bones, then we recommend thigh or breast meat.
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 cup of water
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 10 dashes of fish sauce
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons of powdered turmeric
- Salt & Pepper
*I recommend cooking a whole chicken (bone-in) since you'll get the healthy collagen and gelatin in the soup!
- Trim, smash and dice the lemongrass, as seen here. Grate or dice the turmeric and ginger.
- Chop the onion, garlic, carrots, bok choy, tomatoes, pepper and mushrooms.
- Place onion, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, pepper and mushroom in the base of the crockpot. Place whole chicken over veggies. Squeeze 1 full lime and add coconut milk, chicken broth and water. Cover and and cook on low heat for 6 hours. Add in bok choy and cook for another hour.
- Debone chicken before serving.