Last month, while I was doing Whole30, I was invited to a dinner party with a group of 8 people. I offered to cook and wanted to make something delicious, Whole30 approved and that required little-to-no effort. Since not all of my friends were participating in Whole30, I decided to make something that could please everyone. Not only are slow cooked chicken tacos perfect for a big group of people, but my friends could get creative with all the toppings (tortilla, cheese, sour cream) while I got to enjoy the flavorful chicken, veggies and avocado.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 8 Hours
- 1 whole organic chicken
- 1 red onion
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- 2 green peppers
- 1 jalapeño
- 3 limes
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 10 small tomatillos
- 4 plum tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Chile Lime Seasoning
- 2 ripe avocados
- Blue corn or flour tortillas
- Shredded cotija or a mexican-blend cheese
- Sour cream
- Chop onion, peppers, tomatillos, tomatoes, lime and jalapeno. Set aside.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, chile lime seasoning and cayenne pepper (coating both sides of the chicken with spices).
- Stuff 2 sliced limes inside the chicken.
- Place 1 layer of veggies on the bottom of the crockpot, then place the chicken on top and layer with more veggies. Add chicken stock and squeeze the remaining lime over the veggies.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Once it has cooked, let it cool for 10 minutes. Remove the chicken and de-bone it, placing only the shredded meat back into the slow cooker.
- Stir and keep warm until it's ready to be served.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings.
You can buy the slow cooker for under $30 here.