Growing up in Arizona I had access to some of the best Mexican food. I rarely eat Mexican food in New York, or cook it for that matter, unless it's at my favorite spot Tacombi in NoLita. The last time I made a Mexican-inspired dish was when I cooked these Whole30 approved Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos. These shredded pork tacos are so good and they require very little prep. Just throw everything in the slow cooker.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 8 hours
Ingredients for the pork:
- 4 lbs of pork shoulder (bone-in)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp chipotle pepper seasoning
Ingredients for the pickled onions
- 1 medium red onion
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Season both sides of the pork shoulder with salt and pepper and chipotle pepper seasoning.
- Place in the slow cooker and add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of chicken stock.
- Place another tbsp of chipotle pepper into the liquid.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, flipping over the meat after 4 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Shred the pork, I recommend getting these Bear Paws which are amazing for shredding pork! I also use them for spaghetti squash.
- Once the pork is shredded, throw away the fat and bone and toss the pork back into the liquid until you are ready to serve.
- Serve in a tortilla (I love Siete Foods Almond Flour Tortillas) and top with your favorite toppings, including pickled vegetables, sliced radishes, sliced avocado and chipotle aioli.