Four of my favorite things combined into one side dish. What could be better?!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 bunch of lacinto kale (also known as dino kale)
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- 2 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock for a vegan option)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice off the ends of the of the butternut squash and cut it in half. Peel off the skin (I prefer to use a knife over a vegetable peeler).
- Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds. Chop into cubes. Drizzle with olive oil and salt & pepper. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 35 minutes, or until butternut squash is tender.
- Chop 2 cloves of garlic and kale. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup of quinoa (I used red quinoa) with 2 cups of chicken stock (for the vegetarian option choose water or vegetable stock). Heat over medium heat until the water starts to boil. Cover and let sit for 10-12 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- In another small pan, heat 1/2 cup of pine nuts over medium heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir until they are golden brown (~5 minutes).
- In a medium pan, heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat. Once the garlic starts to sizzle, add in kale. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add quinoa, butternut squash and kale. Mix well. Toss in toasted pine nuts before serving.