Last weekend, I had the pleasure of co-hosting a brunch with two good friends. The theme of the brunch was Fall Equinox, when there are equal amounts of sunlight to darkness. I was so excited this was the theme because Fall is my favorite time of the year. It's been so great living on the East Coast the past couple of years and truly experiencing the change of seasons - I never really felt that living in Phoenix and San Francisco.
If you follow me on Instagram, you know I prefer savory breakfasts. They are so much more satisfying and nutritious (in my opinion) and I wanted the menu for the brunch to be equally hearty, savory and nutritious - plus it had to be colorful for the photos :).
I was expecting it to be a lot cooler, but Saturday ended up being 90 degrees here in New York! I stopped by the farmers market that morning to see what produce was in season and instead of buying the squash and root vegetables like I was expecting, I took advantage of the last of the summer vegetables and picked up some zucchini and green heirloom tomatoes. I made my dairy free pesto ahead of time to mix in with the brown rice for a nutty, savory base. I added the sautéed zucchini and heirloom tomatoes, a poached egg and topped it off with some micro-radish that I picked up from the farmers market. I love that these bowls are versatile, and you can use whatever produce is in season while keeping the core ingredients (pesto brown rice & a poached egg).
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for the pesto brown rice bowls:
Serving size: 1 bowl
- 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice
- Dairy-free pesto (recipe here)
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tbsp vinegar (you can use any vinegar of your choice - this is what keeps the egg from separating once it's in the water)
- 1/2 cup of vegetables of your choice
Steps for poached egg:
- To poach the egg, fill a pan 3/4 of the way with water. Bring water and vinegar to just under a boil.
- Once the water is steaming with light bubbles, crack the egg and let cook for 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, flip the egg and cook for another 2 minutes (if you prefer your yolk less runny do 3 minutes each side)
- Using the slotted spoon, drain the water and plate over the rice and veggies.
Steps for veggies:
- Rinse and dice the veggies of your choice.*
- In a medium pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the veggies and saute until soft ~7-10 minutes)
- Place the veggies over the rice and top with poached egg and microgreens.
*If you are using root vegetables it is best to roast them at 425 for 30 minutes.
Shop My Kitchen Essentials For This Recipe Below!