If you follow me on Instagram, you might have seen that my favorite food is risotto. I always keep a stash of chicken stock and arborio rice on hand in case I'm not sure what to make for dinner. Then I'll see what fresh ingredients I have in my fridge and go from there. I have a few different risotto recipes I like to make, like this butternut squash and sage risotto which is a staple during the winter months, but this mushroom and bacon risotto is great all year round.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup of arborio rice
- 5 crimini mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 2 pieces of thick cut bacon
- Dice the mushrooms, garlic and onion. Set aside.
- Cut the bacon into thin pieces. Cook in a large pan over medium heat.
- Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Keep the bacon fat in the pan and add 1 tbsp of butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the mushrooms, garlic and onion.
- Saute for 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent and the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add the rice and coat in the butter, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add in 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock. Stir continuously until the liquid is absorbed, about 5-7 minutes. Add an additional 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
- Top with the bacon pieces before serving.