Happy Wednesday! I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July. Rob and I spent the weekend in New Jersey at his parent's house and it was so nice to get some much needed r&r. We spent most of our days outside at the pool and I got to catch up on my book, The Wellness Project, which I finally finished. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a new book!
I brought this Couscous salad with shaved carrots, zucchini and squash to our Fourth of July party. It is super easy to make and can be thrown together in 20 minutes. If you haven't tried my other favorite summer salads I also recommend this Quinoa Tabbouleh with Feta and Mint or my Spiralized Daikon Radish and Shaved Carrot Salad. Both salads are really refreshing and a great addition for a dinner party or BBQ.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: N/A
- 1 cup of cooked Pearl Couscous (I buy Bob's Red Mill Tri-Color Pear Couscous)
- 1 large carrot or 2 small carrots
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the couscous according to the instructions.
- In a small pan, heat pine nuts over medium heat until golden brown (~2-3 minutes) and set aside.
- Rinse and peel the carrot, zucchini and squash. Once you've peeled off the first layer of skin, continue to peel and make long strands. You will not be able to use the complete carrot, zucchini, or squash. I recommend saving the remaining parts of the vegetables and sautéing them later.
- Place the peeled vegetables into a large mixing bowl. Add in the cooked couscous.
- In a small ramekin, whisk together the mustard, olive oil and lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Toss the dressing over the salad and serve at room temperature, or slightly chilled.
- If needed, add more dressing. I prefer to dress this salad an hour before serving and then add another half portion of the dressing right before serving.