Growing up, Japanese rice was a staple in our house. My dad is Japanese and my mom is Irish so instead of having pasta or potatoes as a starch we always had rice. I love eating my rice with Furkikake, a traditional Japanese rice seasoning, but whenever I'm craving something different I always make this coconut rice. All you need is rice and coconut milk (full fat or light)!
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
Servings: Makes 4 cups of cooked rice
- 1.5 cup of Japanese sushi rice
- 2 cups of coconut milk (can use either light or full fat coconut milk- but not coconut cream)
- Unsweetened coconut flakes for garnishing
- Rinse rice in a large bowl or strainer with cool water until the water is completely clear. Drain completely.
- Combine the rice and coconut milk into a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stir, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover for ~20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, then let stand covered for ~5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
- For the toasted coconut flakes garnish: place unsweetened coconut flakes on a baking sheet and broil until golden brown (1-2 minutes).