This chicken and veggie soup was a game changer this past weekend. We bought all of the ingredients at Whole Foods on Sunday morning and came back and started prepping. Once we had chopped all of the vegetables and prepped the chicken, we threw everything in the slow cooker for 8 hours on low heat and enjoyed the rest of our Sunday. That's my favorite thing about slow cookers, you do a little prep in the beginning and then everything is taken care of (as long as you are patient). The best part about using a whole chicken with this soup is that you can keep the leftover bones and carcass and use them to make homemade bone broth. I'll be sharing the recipe for homemade bone broth soon!
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 8 hours
- 1 whole organic chicken
- 2 lemon wedges
- Fresh Herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley)
- 2 large loose carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 parsnip
- 1 red onion
- 3 russet potatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 a head of green cabbage
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 6 cups of water
- First remove any dressings from the chicken and season both sides with salt and pepper. Stuff the chicken with rosemary and thyme sprigs and both of the lemon wedges.
- Place in the slow cooker.
- Chop all of the vegetables and spread out around the chicken.
- Add 6 cups of water and turmeric powder.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Turn the slow cooker off and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and shred the pieces, removing any bones.
- Set aside the bones (these can be used for bone broth later) and put the chicken back in the slow cooker.
- Stir everything before serving.