I don't know about you, but I overindulged during the holidays and my body was ready for a re-start. Over Christmas break, my mom made the most flavorful broccoli soup. I was so surprised how filling it was - especially since it uses only a few simple ingredients. It's gluten-free, dairy free and can be made vegan, if possible.
Prep Time: 8 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1 stalk of broccoli (use only the florets)
- 1 large white onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 large russet potato
- 1 full container of organic chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegan version)
- Chop onion, garlic, potato and broccoli.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil on low heat.
- Add in the onion and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, broccoli and potato. Stir for 5 minutes until the veggies are coated in olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and add 1 cup of chicken broth.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Continue to cook for 45 minutes, adding more liquid and stirring every 10 minutes.
- Once the vegetables have softened, remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the veggies into the food processor and blend on high until everything is pureed.
- If the consistency is still thick, transfer it into a sauce pan and simmer on low heat, adding additional chicken stock as needed.
- For extra flavor, top it off with some homemade pesto (recipe here).