Pesto is one of my favorite sauces to make because it can be thrown together in 5 minutes and you can sub different ingredients depending on what you have on-hand. I've made a few different versions of dairy-free pesto including this Spinach and Basil Pesto and this Kale and Basil Pesto which are both delicious. Rob and I bought a bunch of golden beets and instead of wasting the beet greens, I decided to re-use them. This pesto is definitely more bitter because it doesn't have any basil in it, but it has a really great texture! I also used some leftover beet greens in these Whole30 Approved Egg Muffins.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- 2 cups of finely chopped beet greens
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- 1 clove of peeled garlic
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 lemon
- Combine greens, pine nuts, garlic, sea salt, pepper and lemon juice in a food processor.
- Blend on high.
- Slowly add the 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil while the food processor is going.
- Add additional salt, pepper or lemon, as needed.