Happy almost Valentine's Day! I'm gearing up for my cooking class this weekend with Laura from Lives and Forks and we'll be making this really yummy Beet & Farro salad! Recently, I've been replacing meat in my salads and opting for a heartier grain. Some of my favorites are brown rice, quinoa, barley and farro. The farro has an earthy tone, but paired with the beets and ricotta it's got a hint of sweetness. It makes a wonderful side dish, or is great simply on it's own. It's vegan and dairy-free because it uses Kite Hill dairy-free ricotta. If you haven't tried their products I highly recommend. Some of my favorites are their Chive Cream Cheese Spread and their Vanilla Almond Milk Yogurt.
- 1.5 cups of cooked farro
- 1 cup of cooked beets, chopped
- 2 cups of salad mix (spring mix or spinach will work)
- 1/2 cup of Kite Hill Dairy-Free Ricotta
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or pureed
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a mason jar, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, minced garlic clove, Dijon mustard and olive oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine farro, beets and Kite Hill Ricotta. Add in the dressing and toss until everything is evenly coated.
- Add in the salad mix and the additional dressing. Toss again before serving.
*If you make any of my recipes be sure to tag me @sullivanstreeteats so I can see all of your creations!